What we do: Tech-driven trading firm and leading global market maker
No. of employees: 1,600+ globally
The good bits: Smart colleagues, flat structure, collaborative and inclusive environment
The challenge: The work is intense, yet the culture is inspiring
Hiring interns and grads with degrees in Mathematics, Physics, Electrical Engineering, Software Development, Actuarial Studies, Finance or even Philosophy. There are many degree pathways to Optiver and all backgrounds are considered.
The Optiver Story
Optiver is a leading global trading firm, powered by technical innovation. Simply put, Optiver trade options and other financial instruments in 70+ exchanges to improve markets around the world.
It's a unique business, with unique challenges. Optiver a quiet powerhouse of creative problem-solving and collaboration. And while we built our success for more than 35 years, we've deliberately forged a culture that gives our people the opportunity and support to help us make an impact every day.
At Optiver, they do things a bit differently than most businesses. Optiver operate without clients, taking risks and reaping the rewards ourselves. Optiver play by our own rules and maintain an informal culture to keep it fun.
Optiver is a passionate about empowering individuals and creating diverse teams that thrive. Every person at they should feel included, valued and respected because we believe our best work is done together.
Optiver continuously invest in our talent at Optiver. You’ll have access to courses, challenges and career paths that give you a strong start, wherever you want to go. You’ll learn from inspiring colleagues, get fast feedback from stakeholders and the market, and work in cross-discipline teams to deliver real business value. Between formal training and informal feedback, your passion for knowledge will never go unsatisfied.
Optiver is committed to making the world better every day. This commitment extends to our people, making their lives better through a range of initiatives, benefits and opportunities. Optiver believes the best equipped go furthest.
- Gym memberships for staff to help stay fit and active
- Small group training sessions
- Weekly meditation and mindfulness sessions
- Daily breakfast and lunch are provided by our in-house chefs
- Fresh fruit, healthy snacks and vegan/vegetarian options for every meal
- Onsite barista
- Weekly in-chair massages for all staff
- Onsite shower facilities
- Plenty of teams and clubs to get involved in, from soccer, and basketball to cycling teams, and even rock climbing!
- Health challenges for charities, such as City2Surf and more
- An internal library - a quiet area, full of resources available to all staff
Giving back to the community
Optiver believe in giving back to the communities we come from and operate within. This drive for 'better every day takes a lot of different shapes, to give their people opportunities to support their preferred causes. Here are some examples:
- We have volunteer days for all staff, allowing our people to dedicate their time to the things they care for.
- We support Indigenous artists through the Artbank program.
- Each day, leftover food is donated to OzHarvest, ensuring it goes to those in need.
- We hold a Charity Vote every year, giving $20K donations to three charities voted for by our staff.
- We support the Movember campaign, which means a lot of furry lips (and fitness folks) during November.
- We promote blood donation drives, and fitness and wellness events.
- We have regular in-house trading sessions to raise money for nominated charities and causes.
- We donate books, toys and gifts to the Smith Family Christmas Appeal, and allow staff to give their Christmas gift to a charity of their choice.
- We're continuously adopting new initiatives to improve our impact on the planet, including sustainable coffee cups, selecting vendors with impeccable environmental credentials, and reducing our single-use plastics.
- We encourage staff to cycle to work, providing bike storage and free bike servicing services to reduce environmental impact and traffic on the roads.
- Our offices are in a 6-star green-rated building, and we work with Ecosave to monitor and optimise our environmental impact.